Saturday, June 22, 2013

Kilts, Bagpipes, and Obnoxious Blueberry Cars

I am not referring to Scottish stereotypes or making a Psych reference. These are things that I actually saw within thirty minutes of arriving in this grand country. Which made my long flight and interrogation at the UK Border completely worth it. 

Oh ya, didn't you know that I'm trying to sneak into the UK to work illegally and never return to my home country? I don't want to graduate from college this year, and I definitely want to somehow save money working in a country where everything costs four times as much. How did you know? 

Before my best travel companion and I had landed in England, we had been warned of the likelihood that we would be interrogated at the border, but I don't think either of us expected what would actually happen. 
Questions such as, "what is the nature of your relationship?", "what are the exact classes you'll be taking?", "do you have your return tickets with you? <--(NO?!), and the greatest question, "how much money do you have in your bank accounts?", and then the scolding of a lifetime on how we need to fix the issue that our university ID's have expired, because if we were really in college they would be up to date. 

1) If I had been a student trying to work illegally those border agents would have been a HUGE deterrent. I quite frankly would have probably just turned around and gotten back on the plane. 
2) How do you accurately explain to someone you have never met that you always lose your ID within a week of getting a new one and because your university doesn't really require it, you have given up trying to keep track of it, and so while you really do have an ID that's up to date you can't even begin to remember where it would be?
3) It would be illogical for me to spend the money to buy a plane ticket to work here for only for a short amount of time, especially when I do have a return ticket. I would literally save almost no money and I'm already poor enough. 

Border Feelings. 
All that was really missing from this interrogation was the good-cop in this one sided bad cop dynamic, a dingy room, shouting, and a bright light in my face. There was more than enough off-putting attitudes for everyone though.

Past that (although I do commend the UK Border Agency for being frightening and thorough), I love it here. It's beautiful, the weather is amazing, the store is right around the corner, I have seen men in kilts, heard the bagpipes, seen a wedding, figured out the maze that is my apartment building, had the best taxi driver ever,heard all the money draining out of my bank account, and saw the blueberry car.

So much happiness. 
Blueberry car. You parking skills are outstandingly awful, and the horrible notes that people have been writing and putting your windshield have been a great source of joy, amusement, and conversation with the people near my window. I thank you for your obnoxiousness, and hope to meet your owner. As much as I wish to meet the person who left their shirt in the back of the plane before we even took off. But that's another story. 


No comments:

Post a Comment